Just for a bit of perspective...

My SqlAlchemy integration for a project is connected to two distinct
applications :

- Pyramid -- Web Application
- Celery -- Background Processing

We're also hoping to get it working on a third
- Twisted -- More Background Work

There are a lot of moving parts here.  All the libraries (even the twisted)
, reference a core library for our Project.   If we hadn't decided to be as
barebones as possible in our SqlAlchemy model, even the celery integration
would be a huge pain.

Our models only deal with mapping the database / relationships and being
able to serialize/validate themselves.  The business logic usually happens
within each service , but when there is something that is useful / needed
across services, we migrate into the shared library and it becomes an
"internal api" function.

That approach has let us be relatively fast ( though not as fast as if we
just jammed stuff into the model ), while keeping everything scalable.