On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM, diverman <pa...@schon.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we observed deadlock-like problem on our multi-component system with mysql
> database.
>
> Our setup:
>
> 1) MySQL server 5.5 with many MyISAM tables Foo_<timestamp>, one per day
> (like partitioning)
>
> 2) C++ backend daemon
>   * issuing CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS Foo_<timestamp> (...) once per day
> after midnight
>   * filling those tables with INSERT INTO Foo_<timestamp> during intraday
>
> 3) pythonic multi-threaded backend daemon (we call it 'worker')
>   * reads Foo_<timestamp> tables every minute via ScopedSession and mapped
> classes 'Foo'
>   * fills memcache with statistics computed from Foo_* tables
>
> 4) pythonic/apache/mod_wsgi single-threaded, multi-process webserver
>   * runs also on shared codebase 'foobar', so it uses also ScopedSession
> (same as 'worker')
>   * codebase is same when runing in webserver-mode and when running in
> worker-mode (ScopedSession is always used).
>
> We observed that during rollover to next day the C++ BE daemon is blocked on
> 'Waiting for table metadata lock: CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS Foo_xxxxxxxxx
> (...)'
>
> Webserver is also blocked. Kill the 'worker' helps, all blocked stuff
> continues. If anyone could know:
>
> - why it blocks since we have MyISAM,which are transaction-less
> - why the worker is the blockator, since it only executes SELECTs
> - how to fix it?

This sounds like more of a MySQL issue than an SQLAlchemy issue, so
you might have more luck on a MySQL mailing list. In answer to your
first question,
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/metadata-locking.html suggests
that non-transactional tables can also be involved in metadata locks.
I'm afraid I can't help with the rest.

Simon