From: sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com [sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com] on behalf of
Michel Albert [exh...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:46 AM
To: sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com
Subject: [sqlalchemy] Unit testing, mocking and dependency injection with SA
Declarative.

I am trying to wrap my head around how to do Dependency Injection with
SQLAlchemy and I am walking in circles.

I want to be able to mock out SA for most of my tests. I trust SA and don't
want to test serialisation into the DB. I just want to test my own code. So I
was thinking to do dependency injection, and mock out SA during testing.

But I don't know what to mock out, how and when to set up the session properly,
without doing it at the module level (which causes unwanted side-effects only
by importing the module).

The only solution which comes to mind is to have one "singleton" which deals
with that. But that feels very unpythonic to me and I am wondering if there's a
better solution.

I also saw that "create_engine" has an optional "module" kwarg, which I could
mock out. But then SA begins complaining that the return types are not correct.
And I don't want to specify return values for every possible db-module call.
That's way out of scope of my tests. I am not calling anything on the
db-module. That's SA's job, and, as said, I already trust SA.

Whenever I work on this I always run into the session_maker initialisation as
well. The examples to this on the module level, which I really make me feel
uneasy.

Any tips? Just prodding myself in the right direction might help me out enough.