Hopefully this will make sense...

I have a database which is in need of some normalization of the column
naming in various tables.  In an effort to minimize disruption (since this
is a live database used by many applications), I'm trying to use a two-step
approach:

1) Add a new column that will 'mirror' the current primary key column,
   then update code to utilize that column once in place
2) Once all code is converted, remove the original primary key column
   and make the new column the primary key instead.

In an effort to minimize change to the code I have currently using my
SQLAlchemy model, I'm trying to find a way to deal with this from within
the declarative classes themselves.  So the questions are:

 - Is this even possible, and if so, how can it be done?
 - If not possible, is there a good yet minimally intrusive external
   change that can be done?

My searching through the docs so far hasn't turned up anything useful,
I'm afraid...

Thanks in advance.

--
- Ken Lareau