Thanks.

I caved in and stayed up until 3am last night to add a ton of log.debug()
statements across the app.

The culprit was my read-through-caching layer ( built on dogpile ).  It was
implemented in such a way that SqlAlchemy looked to have issues.

The performance on the DBM datatstore was less than ideal.  I haven't
benched the pylibmc version yet ( which is running on production ).

GETs performed fine ( slower than I expected, but generally fine ).  The
SET operations were a killer though.  The speed on this machine was
something like 50/s GET vs 10/s SET.  With a DBM backend, a "moderate" page
is taking 3.5s to generate on an unprimed cache; the same page on a memory
backend... .05 s.  hitting a fully primed cache was taking under .05s on
both backends.