On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Sayth Renshaw <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Looking for some guidance using SQLAlchemy. In particular using SQLAlchemy
> to parse an XML file to the database.
>
> I have read the docs in SQLAlchemy on creating database and classes and
> tables and then started reading
> http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_9/orm/index.html?highlight=xml
> However i want to understand the end process of importing the XML in and
> considerations and restrictions of this. Finding a lot of my search results
> are returning 'persisting xml' tutorials and examples, or very basic
> examples of typed in database entries (album, artist examples etc)
>
> Can anyone help advise how I would go about this? Any tutorials or
> information appreciated. Have read tutorials on lxml and elementree as well
> but again I don't understand if SQLAlchemy needs me to parse via this first
> if so what is important to understand, or has SQLA another mechanism for
> handinling importing XML nodes to classes?
>
> Thank you
>
> Sayth

SQLAlchemy itself doesn't really have any relationship at all with
XML, but in the source distribution, there are some examples of how
you might import data from an XML file into a database. See:

  http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/examples.html#xml-persistence

and

https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/src/eee219bc7e0656fb8afa9879bda799ab1d71b285/examples/elementtree?at=master

Which approach you follow really depends on how you are going to be
working with the data.

Hope that helps,

Simon