i remember getting annoyed with this a while back.  I fought with
SqlAlchemy and Postgresql to get the right SQL generated ( Postgres had a
few bad lines in the docs that confused things ).

I ended up NOT being able to get this to work using the ORM.  However I
found a workaround using the Engine directly.

    results_c = dbSession.execute(
        User.__table__\
        .update()\
        .values(
            prefs = User.__table__.c.prefs +
sqlalchemy.dialects.postgresql.hstore(sqlalchemy.dialects.postgresql.array(['transitAvaiable',

'true']))
        )\
        .where(\
            User.prefs.has_key('inboundBusStop')
        )
    )

Thankfully I still had the test/experiments script around , and just
dropped your example into it.

Here's a gist that can be used to create a simple test and play around with
different ways to write the query.

    https://gist.github.com/jvanasco/7532625

you'll need to run the table creation / setup manually , but it's all
there.