I just learned all about the Events model.  You could potentially write a
listener that can filter the data for you.  I'm not very familiar with the
events though, and it could be a bit difficult to do -- as some items would
be functions, others column operations, and others from 'text' constructs
-- you might end up needing to apply a filter to every 'number-like' value,
and that could cause bad side effects.

are there any methods in the databases that would set up per-session
options ?

mysql has session-level options, sqlite has pragma and some other stuff.
 maybe you could tell the db to format stuff on it's end?