On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Iain Duncan <iainduncanli...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi, I'm stuck on how to do something that I'm sure must be possible.
>
> I have two kinds of records, using table inheritance, Client, and
> SpecialClient. SpecialClient has extra fields and it's own polymorphic
> identity. I need to *promote* a and existing client record to a special
> client. I tried just making a SpecialClient and copying over attributes,
> but this is giving me "can't set attribute" error messages. Can anyone tell
> me what the *right* way to do change a polymorphic type, while keeping it's
> ID the same, would be? In my case, the ID in the derived type is an fkey to
> the base type table's id col.
>

> if its joined inheritance, you have to INSERT into the new table manually,
> that feature isn’t supported right now.   if it’s single, try emitting an
> UPDATE for the “discriminator” column, then reloading the object.

I think it's joined inheritance? The derived table's primarky key is an
"id" column that is also an fkey to the base table's "id" column and the
 base table has a "_type" column holding the poly id. Does this mean I
should drop into sql directly to create the record in the derived table and
it will "just work"?

thanks Michael!

iain