I'm trying to do something like this:

class Animal(Base):
    __tablename__ = 'animals'
    id_ = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)

    sire_id = Column(Integer, ForeignKey('animals.id_'))
    dam_id = Column(Integer, ForeignKey('animals.id_'))

    sire = relationship('Animal', foreign_keys=[sire_id])
    dam = relationship('Animal', foreign_keys=[dam_id])
    children = relationship('Animal', foreign_keys=[sire_id, dam_id])

It gives:

sqlalchemy.exc.AmbiguousForeignKeysError: Could not determine join condition between parent/child tables on relationship Animal.first_owner - there are multiple foreign key paths linking the tables. Specify the 'foreign_keys' argument, providing a list of those columns which should be counted as containing a foreign key reference to the parent table.

I've spent lots of time here, but I'm just not seeing the answer for this father-mother-children relationship.
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_9/orm/relationships.html

Any help?

Thanks,
Michael