It means that an object in memory (or some of its attributes), representing
an entity in the DB, is no longer considered to reflect the state of that
entity accurately because the entity may have changed in the DB. So next
time attributes are read from the object, fresh DB state is queried. See
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/session.html#refreshing-expiring"To
clear out the currently loaded state on an instance, the instance or
its individual attributes can be marked as "expired", which results in a
reload to occur upon next access of any of the instance's attrbutes."

Gulli