ah!

i didn't catch this before...

    backref_name = "timeseries_%s" % name  ## might be better as an the id
of the location
    location = relationship('Location',
backref=backref(backref_name, lazy='dynamic'))

I don't think he can do one table. originally i did, but I looked into some
high-performance sql blogs and posts --  postgres starts to crap-out on
performance around a billion rows.  it can handle the storing fine, and
it's still rock-solid, but it's not fast... and seems to degrade quickly.
 everyone says you need to start partitioning your tables and indexes at
that point.  he's got a location-based partition system already.