Thank you very much!  That was the nudge I needed.  I saw association
proxies in the docs, but wasn't sure that was what I wanted.  It was!

I had considered making the credits table an object, but wasn't sure it was
the correct way.  By doing that, in combo with an accessor property on
Credit and have Document  have an association proxy to that property, I got
my model working.