My problem with InformixDB (I tried it) is it seems too weakly
supported/used, while I need something more reliable, sorry.
ibm_db seems more stable but the problem is with the "ibm_db_sa" adapter
(SQLAlchemy module). My problem is when I try the "IBM_DB SA adapter sanity
test" as from the project wiki
(https://code.google.com/p/ibm-db/wiki/README). I always get this error:

ibm_db_dbi.DatabaseError?<https://code.google.com/p/ibm-db/w/edit/DatabaseError>:

ibm_db_dbi::DatabaseError?<https://code.google.com/p/ibm-db/w/edit/DatabaseError>:

SQLNumResultCols failed: IBM? <https://code.google.com/p/ibm-db/w/edit/IBM>
Driver? <https://code.google.com/p/ibm-db/w/edit/CLI>[IDS/UNIX32] The
specified table (sysibm.sysdummy1) is not in the database. SQLCODE=-206

The same happens when creating a Session() in SQLAlchemy. It seems the
ibm_db_sa adapter thinks to DB2 only and try to query the sysibm.sysdummy1
system table, which is not present in Informix.

On the same wiki page I commented about this fact, and a project member
(Rahul) (with an @ibm.com email address) answered:
"Informix is currently not supported for SQLALchemy's ibm_db_sa backend."

Btw, since I'm new to SQLAlchemy, I don't understand the full implications
of this, and that was my question about the ability to use the ORM or just
the Core features.

Thanks for help,

Massimo