On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:40:02 PM UTC-4, Victor Olex wrote:

> What I aiming for is to provide users a library of base class(es), which
> are mapped using SQLAlchemy. The classes are then meant to be extended by
> users with business logic. I am not hell bent on using inheritance for
> this, but for now I went with your __abstract__ = True solution only in a
> somewhat inverted way.

There's another thread from within the past 2 weeks from someone else
trying to tackle this problem.

I mentioned in that post, and I'll mention again here -- the best method I
found was to use a form of a "registry" pattern --  where child classes
inherit from base class and mention any overrides + the types of
relationships they require or provide. As the classes are initialized, this
data is recorded in a registry.  after initialization, relationships are
mapped onto the classes uses the data in the registry.