On 7/2/14, 2:59 PM, Brian Findlay wrote:
> Mike, thanks for the response.
>
> (1) "foo" updates a particular User attribute based on a calculation
> performed on the user.courses collection. I'm listening for the "set"
> event on UserCourse objects to trigger "foo" to update that User
> attribute, but that isn't working with new users because -- as you say
> -- the "set" event is called before the actual attribute association
> occurs. What is the first event I could listen for that would
> recognize the new attribute association?
in that event I only see "grade" being set so it's not clear to me what
the bigger picture is.  If this is all within the association proxy
setup and within when a new UserCourse is created, I'd have to step
through w/ pdb to see when things happen, but often with these assoc
proxy cases, building out a custom proxier that does the things you want
is often necessary if you really want sophisticated behaviors.

we don't really have a solution to the attribute events being before the
thing is set.  adding all new "after set" events isn't possible without
adding even more latency, and attribute mutation operations are already
a huge performance bottleneck.   Association proxies and attribute
events are both handy but they only go so far in their capabilities.