I have a situation where I need to issue a `commit()` without expiring the
object/attributes from the session.   I'm in a `Celery` task, and need to
log progress at certain points into a "status" column.  the status points
will be used to troubleshoot and "fix" jobs that didn't correctly complete.

`commit()` doesn't accept an `expire_on_commit` argument -- which would
suit my needs perfectly -- only the sessionmaker does.

it looks like I have 3 options :

1- `merge` my object back into the session
2- use a non-expiring session
3- don't touch the column in the ORM/Session; have a second connection that
issues updates via the core API

does anyone have other ideas ?  or have others handled similar situations ?