On Aug 26, 2014, at 8:42 AM, alchemy1 <veerukrish...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I added a Postgres TIMESTAMP column and ran a migration, then realized I
> wanted to do TIMESTAMP(timezone=True) so I updated my models then ran another
> migration, but the migration files had a 'pass' in the upgrade/downgrade
> functions rather than doing anything.

autogenerate can only detect a limited set of changes, see the guidelines at
http://alembic.readthedocs.org/en/latest/tutorial.html#auto-generating-migrations
 for a general idea of what works "out of the box (tables, columns, indexes)"
and what doesn't (everything else).

> I had to revert to the migration before I added the TIMESTAMP(without time
> zone) columns then re-run a migration to get it to work. Just wanted to see
> if it was me doing something wrong or if adding a timezone to an existing
> TIMESTAMP isn't (yet) supported by Alembic.

when autogenerate doesn't do what is needed, you write the migration manually.
autogenerate is just a convenience feature on top of things to assist in
writing scripts.