hello all :)

from the past years, i've been working on solutions to the "problem" described by Jean (we are co-workers, and we use twisted and sqlalchemy, A LOT), and as everybody may already know, it's a very complicated combination, since we have to do a lot of code around to have a consistent application.

ok, that's not bad, but ... since we are a team of several developers, from 'grey haired pythonistas' to 'fishes in a barrel', it's hard to mantain a quality standard, so we decided to take ALL our codebase based on twisted and sqlalchemy to give it a try on creating a better integration between them, specially if you are more acquainted to asynchronous programming.

*RESULTS*

1. we were able to create an "asynchronous" sqlalchemy, but it relies
   on deep object copy, so every promise (or deferred, on twisted's
   language) generates an overhead that is not welcome in our standards
   (or every programmer with a brain, lol);

2. without deep copy, furthermore we were able to have again a fully
   promise version of sqlalchemy, but we had to left aside all the ORM
   codebase and work only with low level sqlalchemy. that's a good
   result, but again, we'll have a problem with the fishes not using
   the ORM.

*THE PROBLEM*

SO, after reading a lot about the internals of sqlalchemy AND tons of solutions out there (sAsync, etc, etc) we always ended up with the same problem: thread safety. the orm design of sqlalchemy, specially the session states, are all designed to be thread safe (Mike, correct me if i'm wrong), so from there the work might be huge, but we are willing to work on a solution - specially if our main rdbms, postgres, have one (if not the best) of dialects implementations in sa. this solution we expect even to publish for others to use :)
*
**THREAD SAFETY*

ok, as Jean already stated (those are actually my words) that 99,9% of the programmers who uses sqlalchemy are quite happy with the solutions it already provides, which are in fact very, very usable. we have no problem with that.

but, what if we want to go further on this? i mean, we can already control a lot of things in sqlalchemy. i mean, a lot, really. it is very flexible in almost all aspects. but ... why it isn't when the subject is the session state? or it is and we are missing something?

*FINAL THOUGHTS*

the bottom line is not about twisted, just to be clear, but to implement a non thread safe session state system that can work with async frameworks (gevent, twisted, tornado) and so on. is that really possible?

my best regards,
richard.