Thanks, this helps.  A lot.

Makes me think there could/should be an FAQ item on what can be selected
from what type of objects and how.  That'll go on my todo.

I could do this as a subquery.  i actually might, as it appears to be
running 10% faster as a subquery.

The reason why it's CTE that I'm trying to optimize some very intense
selects , and the CTE format is the most logical/readable/usable when
writing raw sql. Everything has already been optimized based on indexes/etc
, so i've been left to play with ordering/nesting the various subqueries to
streamline the amounts of data postgres needs to handle.

This has let me drop a 70s query against the entire database into 3.5s --
and searching a subset of recent records is only 50ms.