> On Oct 23, 2014, at 2:50 PM, Lycovian <mfwil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to use a pyodbc connection without a dialect?

there is not.   the dialect is responsible for formulating SQL of the format
that the database understands as well as dealing with idiosyncrasies of the
DBAPI driver (of which pyodbc has many, many, many, which are also specific to
certain databases).

> Barring that working which seems unlikely since I can't find any working
> examples, I have started stubbing out a very simple Teradata dialect but I
> can't figure out how to manually set pyodbc.pooling = False.  This is
> required as the TD ODBC driver will core dump on connect if this isn't set.
> I've tried the following in the my pyodbc.py my dialect but on testing it
> core dumps indicating the value isn't being set.
>
> Here is the pyodbc.py for my TD dialect.  I'm trying to control pooling in
> two different ways in this example but neither works:

have you tried talking to your database using just pyodbc directly?  does this
flag even work ?