idiomatically this would be:

tube1 = session.query(Phototubes).filter(<get the first object>).one()
tube2 = Phototubes(gain = new_gain, transactiondate = tube1.transactiondate,
serialnumber=tube1.serialnumber)
session.add(tube2)
session.commit()

That’s a SELECT then an INSERT.  In the event that you’re looking for something
more exotic than that (like, an INSERT that embeds the SELECT)  let us know.