Hi,

On Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:02:42 AM UTC+1, Ams Fwd wrote:

> On 12/3/14 2:23 PM, Andrea Gavana wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:42:27 PM UTC+1, Jonathan Vanasco
> wrote:
> >

> >     On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:23:31 PM UTC-5, Ams Fwd wrote:
> >
> >         I would recommend just storing them on disk and let the OS VMM
> >         deal with
> >         caching for speed. If you are not constrained for space I would
> >         recommend not zlib-ing it either.
> >

> >     I'll second storing them to disk.  Large object support in all the
> >     databases is a pain and not very optimal.  Just pickle/unpickle a
> >     file and use the db to manage that file.
> >

> > Thanks to all of you who replied. A couple of issues that I'm sure I
> > will encounter by letting the files on disk:
> >
> > 1. Other users can easily delete/overwrite/rename the files on disk,
> > which is something we really, really do not want;
>
> If this is windows group policies are your friends :). If this is linux,
> permissions with a secondary service to access the files are a decent
> choice.

Yes, this is Windows, but no, I can't go around and tell the users that the
simulation they just saved is not accessible anymore. The database is part
of a much larger user interface application, where users can generate
simulations and then decide whether or not they are relevant enough to be
stored in the database. At a rate of 300 MB per simulation (or more), it
gets quickly to the "size issue".

> > 2. The whole point of a database was to have everything centralized in
> > one place, not leaving the simulation files scattered around like a
> > mess in the whole network drive;
>
> The last time I did it a post processing step in my data pipeline
> organized the files based on a multi-level folder structure based on the
> first x-characters of their sha1.

Again, I am dealing with non-Python people - and in general with people who
are extremely good at what they do but they don't care about the overall IT
architecture - as long as it works and it is recognizable from a Windows
Explorer point of view. A file-based approach is unfortunately not a good
option in the current setup.

> > 3. As an aside, not zlib-ing the files saves about 5
> > seconds/simulation (over a 20 seconds save) but increases the database
> > size by 4 times. I'll have to check if this is OK.
> >
> To use compression or not depends on your needs. If the difference in
> time consumed is so stark, I would highly recommend compression.

I will probably go that way, 5 seconds more or less do not make that much
of a difference overall. I just wish the backends didn't complain when I
pass them cPickled objects (bytes instead of strings...).

Andrea.