Hi,

I have a problem that is essentially identical to
this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sqlalchemy/association$20table$20duplicate/sqlalchemy/2myGWqEg8LY/lCBB5q4F0PIJ

However, I'm not sure how to proceed. I understand that I can simply check
to see if a child exists before adding it in order to avoid an
IntegrityError. However, I still want the link between parent and child to
be created in the association table:

1 if child doesn't exist:
2     create new child
3     append child to parent's list of children (via association table)
4 else if child exists:
5     retrieve extant child
6     append child to parent's list of children (via association table)

Since this is handled automatically by SQLAlchemy, I have no idea how to go
about doing step #6. The relationship is defined using a backref.

MySQL is Percona 5.6.22-71.0.
SQLAlchemy version is 0.9.8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,