Hi,

Is there any potential disadvantages in using string as the datatype to
store datetime plus timezone in one column?
In my application the time information is not uniform. Some rows are
datetime while others just date. I still want to store everything in one
column, named "time_point". Also because sql datetime datatype doesn't
persist timezone information. Therefore, I tried to store all the time
information as strings.

In my simple application the query seems to be fine, but I wonder what
disadvantages can this bring so that this method is not popular among
experienced programmers. Are there any particular situations where using
string to store datetime information can do more harm than good?

Thanks.