This query is copied from another python script and if I'm right it's
working on older sqlalchemy versions (although I didn't try), but it's not
working in my environment.
Are you saying it should not work at all?

Then how do I workaroud this? What I need is a text sql query, that can be
modified and passed to my function as a variable. I need this because
schemas for this query can be very different.

While sqlalchemy core like queries work, they can not be passed as a
variable and/or edited by persons that don't know python or sqlalchemy.