Thanks for the comment.

If I understand you correctly, I'm going in a similar direction in trying
to keep transactions short. If there is a write to the database, I want a
commit or rollback shortly thereafter (usually on the order of milliseconds
rather than anywhere approaching the 5 second timeout). The point of my
utility class is to try to find the places where my teammates or I have
accidentally not conformed to that ideal rather than having QA report every
few days that they saw an OperationalError in the logs.

If you have any further advice about your shift in strategies, I'd be happy
to hear them.

Thanks,
Eric