it's a test that very seldom fails in some cases no matter what, as it's checking reference counts on objects that are expected to be garbage collected without any cycles. A failure of this test is not strictly a "bug", it just refers to connections or cursors that are not collected immediately. if it is persistent and only occurs with pg8000 then there might be some cursor cleanup issue going on.