On 6/15/15 11:48 AM, T Mark wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the reply and the pointer.

Since I never added anything to the session explicitly, I think I was missing that loading an object implicitly adds that object to the session - which does make sense.

Is that right ?

All the objects we deal with when using the ORM represent a row in the database, in terms of a transaction. So when we load rows, the objects which proxy those rows stay associated with the session. The ORM uses the lazy loader pattern so that when unloaded attributes are accessed, the associated Session is used as a source of transactional context.

Objects that are used in this way are known as "persistent" objects. There are several states an object might have, including states that are unassociated with a Session as well. These states are discussed at http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_1_0/orm/session_state_management.html.

thanks again,
terry