Thanks for your reply. Our exact problem is that we are creating empty
detached objects from the primary key alone, and then merging them in to a
session, so we can't do this:

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 18:44:26 UTC+1, Michael Bayer wrote:

> For now, I'd recommend either not using expire() or specifying specific
> attribute names to expire().

I just included the expire() in the example as it was a more succinct way
to reproduce the same bug.
Our code looks more like this:

detached_port = Port(name='test')
make_transient_to_detached(detached_port)
new_port = session.merge(detached_port, load=False)

In my example, Port only has two columns so this won't demonstrate the bug
as the only non-deferred column is filled in already, but more complicated
objects that are merged in this way will not defer columns. Do you think there
a work around in this case?

Thanks,
Tom