Hello,

this is maybe more about the database design.

I want to store several boolean states of an object.
The object may also have more than one state and the available possible
states may increase in future.
So I want to avoid adding BOOL columns for every new state and I though,
hey, what about bit fields - one column, that can store many boolean
information/flags.

I understand that MySQL provides a datatype BIT, but which may lead to
problems, depending on the version and table type.
What about sqlalchemy?
Is there a reasonable way to use bit masks?

Would you recommend anyway to avoid such a design, since it is not that
what SQL originally was designed for?
I also want the program to be able to run on mysql or postgres or
whatever. So maybe choosing bit masks is a bad idea anyway, since it
might lead to problems with different database backends?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts
Cornelius