This is mainly a pandas question, but wanted to ensure we didn't build
something at pandas that used SQLAlchemy inefficiently.

There are two main approaches:

   - Build a DataFrame from the results of a SQLAlchemy query; i.e. pandas
   has no knowledge that it's a SQL Query (`pd.DataFrame(query.all())`)
   - Feed pandas the SQL string generated by SQLAlchemy, and it sends the
   query to be executied (`pd.read_sql_query(Query().selectable, engine)` or
   `pd.read_sql(query.statement, query.session.bind)`).
   -

Are those paths equivalent, or is one advisable? There's a discussion
<https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues/11181#issuecomment-142915059> at
pandas whether the `pd.read sql` functions could take a SQLAlchemy - would
that offer any integration benefits?

Thanks

(NB: I'd previously posted
<https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/issues/3542/design-for-pandas-access-to-query#>

this on BitBucket and Mike asked me to move it here)