On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 5:54:03 PM UTC+2, Michael Bayer wrote:

> On 9/29/15 9:50 AM, Ralph Heinkel wrote:
>
> In short this looks like:
>
> SELECT val
> FROM   some_table
> ORDER  BY val
> OFFSET 4 ROWS FETCH NEXT 4 ROWS ONLY;
>
> it's like OK we can add a LIMIT/OFFSET feature, but first!  Let's send it
> off to the Oracle department of "make this syntax as awkward and obtuse as
> possible - OraTuse! (tm)"
>

> +1 ;-)  You are right, the syntax is really awkward - they should have
just used something like Postgresql does, very concise, very easy to read.
But hey - it's Oracle, it must be complicated to justify the price.

> and is so much faster than the nested approach that has been used so far (at
> least on my system).
>

> I am sure.
>
> OK, that was a bit too optimistic, the speed increase depends very much on
the table/view I'm applying it to. There is some increase in speed, never a
decrease.
The real difference in speed that I believed (hoped) I saw seems to be
related on our db load at the time when I measured it. So I think we have
to collect experiences from different side whether or not it really makes a
difference.

But anyway, even though the syntax is slightly strange I prefer it much
over the original approach which required to nest two select statements.

Ralph