On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 4:25:52 PM UTC-4, Michael Bayer wrote:

> What am I missing that one wouldn't use say multiprocessing.Pool() to do
> this kind of thing in the general sense?   If we're only talking about
> 5-10 runners they could just as well be local forked processes.

That would totally work too.  I just *swear* I saw a SqlAlchemy recipe for
this once, where I migration script would partition the SELECT based on the
number of workers.  It would probably be better too, because I would avoid
taking such a hit on memory (this imports a Pyramid app that weighs 150mb -
all loaded per worker).

The one benefit of doing this as multiple invocations of the same script
through a broker, is that you can tweak the number of workers as needed.
 I've got a console window monitoring memory/cpu and another one displaying
how many records were migrated in the past minute.