On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Mike Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> If we OTOH use native_unicode=False and use the Unicode type for the
> columns we care about, that seems a lot faster, e.g. changing the
> mapping to:

[...]

> When we use the Unicode type and set use_native_unicode=False,
> SQLAlchemy's own use of Python unicode codecs takes place; this takes
> place within the C extensions and has been highly optimized for speed in
> the way that the codec is invoked.  We've already observed that
> cx_Oracle's native unicode methodologies turn out to be much slower than
> SQLAlchemy's, which was unexpected since cx_Oracle is pure C code, and
> in this case psycopg2 is also pure C code so it is again surprising
> SQLAlchemy's approach is a little faster.

Back then when I created the C extensions, I found that out as well:
virtually all backends were slower at decoding unicode than our own
unicode handling. At that time, there was no easy way (that I knew of,
at least) to turn off the native decoding of the DBAPI via SQLAlchemy.
I am glad to see that it now exists !

Congratulations to Mike for his dedication and endurance in the
project, You never cease to impress.

Gaëtan