On 11/29/2015 10:50 AM, Sami Pietilä wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have postgresql database with "records" table. There is "id"
> (bigserial unique primary key) column. I need to insert a row in such a
> way that I get id from newly inserted row.
>
> ins = records.insert()
> results = conn.execute(ins)
>
> I was unable to find a code example of how to add "RETURNING"
> functionality to records.insert() and how to find the id from the results.

Please refer to the SQL Expression Language Tutorial, specifically the
last paragraph in this section:

http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_1_0/core/tutorial.html#executing

Using the search box on the side of the documentation with the search
term "returning", you'll get more links that describe both implicit and
explicit use of RETURNING:

http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_1_0/core/connections.html?highlight=inserted_primary_key#sqlalchemy.engine.ResultProxy.inserted_primary_key

http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_1_0/core/dml.html#sqlalchemy.sql.expression.Insert.returning

http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_1_0/dialects/postgresql.html#insert-update-returning