Thanks Simon!

I tried your method and it didn't work... because I had been resetting my
query all along and not noticing (!!!)   FFS.

After extensive testing this morning, I found that mistake because these 3
forms will generate the same exact sql in the current 1.x release:

# Chained joinedload
q1 = session.query(Collection)\
     .options(joinedload('to_items').joinedload('item'))

# Grouped joinedload
q2 = session.query(Collection)\
     .options(joinedload('to_items'), joinedload('to_items.item'))

# Compounded joinedload
q3 = session.query(Collection)\
     .options(joinedload('to_items'))\
     .options(joinedload('to_items.item'))

The same sql is generated and the same relationships are handled in each
case.  association_proxy works as expected (seamlessly).