Mike,

Would you be interested in a pull request to add a Query and/or Session option for this?

My use case right now is putting the query in a registry so other callables down the line can refine the search criteria, but I may well not being alone in thinking that:

query = self.session.query(Club)
query.filter(Club.name.ilike(club))
query.order_by('name')
possible = query.all()