since I don't use UPSERT, I don't have a deep insight on an appropriate
API for this, as all the backends have totally different systems, none
of which behave the same.   Whether a construct would attempt to work
"the same" on different backends, or if there are just totally different
constructs for each backend, is unknown.

Seems like for PG/MySQL we'd stick to postgresql_on_conflict and
mysql_on_duplicate_key.  So the actual MERGE statement is nowhere.
PG's on_conflict and MySQL's on_duplicate_key still seem quite different.