I've run into a few cases where I need to abandon the ORM and run
`session.execute()`

Usually... I'm doing a bunch of nested queries and only pull out a `count`
or a few rows of 1-2 id columns. Writing in pure sql is faster (for me),
gives me more control, and avoids having to do a baked-query.

Here's where my concern comes in -- `execute` returns a ResultProxy, and
the first element is a RowProxy

so to get a count, I'm doing something like this:

    result = dbSession.execute(foo)
    result = list(result)[0][0]

This is... ugly.  and then I have to handle the logic to ensure I got a
correct record back.

I'm wondering if anyone has figured a more elegant way to handle queries
like this.

The best i can think of is using an shared function:

    result = extract_result_one(result)
    result = extract_result_first(result)
    result = extract_result_count(result)

and then just raise an appropriate error if there are too many (or no) rows.

anyone have a better idea?