On 02/23/2016 04:50 PM, Sergey Mozgovoy wrote:
Recently I ran into two cases that required some custom collection
behavior, and it turned out that what I needed did not exist in
SQLAlchemy, so I ended up implementing custom collection classes:

1) Nested mapped collections
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23354380/how-do-i-create-a-multi-level-dictionary-backed-by-a-single-table-in-sqlalchemy).
2) A usual (non-nested) mapped collection that groups objects with equal
keys into sets. So it maps objects' attribute to sets of objects (rather
than to single objects, as ordinary "attribute_mapped_collection").

Clearly, the above cases can be regarded as just special case of a
general collection class with extended capabilities. And
association_proxy: sometimes we don't want objects themselves, just
their property or attribute. So this collection class should be able to
act like association_proxy, too.

What I came up with is kind of ad-hoc and half-baked implementation of
this extended collection-mapping functionality. But I'd like to improve
it, make things more general and share with the community.

Is this functionality used often enough to care ? Am I missing some
extension or library for SQLAlchemy that does just exactly this ?

If not, I'd be glad to contribute to SQLAlchemy.

it sounds pretty useful, though a lot of these extension things are published as standalone projects, such as sqlalchemy-utils. that way they can be developed and released at a higher velocity until they are industrial strength. it also serves to ensure the maintenance burden is on the folks who created it; once it goes into SQLA direct, now *I* have to support it directly and that's a larger and larger burden for me.

-----
Best regards,
Sergey