On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 7:25:16 PM UTC-4, Mike Bayer wrote:

> Well scopedsession.remove throws away the session, so yeah either don't
> call that , or set up the connection immediately on the next session.

I thought "this is obvious, the session is closed on `remove`", but then
dug into the docs -- and I can see how this is misleading.

The narrative docs
(http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/session_api.html#session-and-sessionmaker)

Session = sessionmaker()
# bind an individual session to a connectionsess = Session(bind=connection

It's easy to miss the importance of "individual"

And then the API makes it seem like a bind(connection) would persist via
sessionmaker.

http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/session_api.html#sqlalchemy.orm.session.sessionmaker.__init__

   - *bind*

<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/session_api.html#sqlalchemy.orm.session.sessionmaker.params.bind>
 –
   a Engine

<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/connections.html#sqlalchemy.engine.Engine>
 or
   other Connectable

<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/connections.html#sqlalchemy.engine.Connectable>
 with
   which newly createdSession

<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/session_api.html#sqlalchemy.orm.session.Session>
 objects
   will be associated.

http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/session_api.html#sqlalchemy.orm.session.Session

   - *bind*

<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/session_api.html#sqlalchemy.orm.session.Session.params.bind>
 –
   An optional Engine

<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/connections.html#sqlalchemy.engine.Engine>
    or Connection

<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/connections.html#sqlalchemy.engine.Connection>
   which this Session should be bound. When specified, all SQL operations
   performed by this session will execute via this connectable.

Unless one were more familiar, the `remove` behavior wouldn't be
apparent... and the notion of a particular connection being bound to a
Session Maker might seem like a good thing (it's actually not, because you
would inherently preclude the utility of connection pools , aside from
 other effects)