There are a lot of ways to handle versioning in SqlAlchemy.  This is just
one example.  The docs show another approach as well
(http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/examples.html#versioning-objects)

It's not included, because it's just an example.  It won't suit all cases
and many people will want to adapt.

Unlike most other db packages, SqlAlchemy is not opinionated and doesn't
force an approach.  One of my projects has 3 types of versioning, depending
on the content type and business needs.

If you want a full-fledged versioning system, there are a few plugins and
projects on PyPi.  One I recall offhand is "sqlalchemy-continuum"