I've opened issue here
<https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/issues/3714/sqlalchemy-core-returns-string-instead-of>,

please read it, it's very brief.

Now Mike Bayer says that it's not a sqlalchemy bug, and says that I can use
cast to hint to mysql to return datetime.date, but this won't work with
sqlite which we're trying to use for tests. So it's doesn't solve my
problem as I really want to use sqlite for tests.

So I got a few questions

Why ``` literal(d, Date)``` isn't working with mysql? I've explicitly
stated that this column is of type Date. But mysql still returns strings.
What is the use of this type parameter in ```literal``` function?

Could someone point me to a sqlite bug report which says that cast isn't
working correctly with casting string to date? Maybe I can fix this...

Are there any other workarounds that are actually portable? I mean besides
changing my own functions logic to deal with corner cases like if result is
string, than convert it to date etc.