On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 10:17:34 AM UTC-4, Mike Bayer wrote:

> So it seems clear that probably for 1.2 we will need to add a
> comprehensive layer of being able to change what "IN" does, the choices
> being "raise", "simple-false", "column-false", and probably some others,
> and for starters it would be a dialect-level flag.    I'd love to change
> the default to "simple-false" too due to the above revelation that
> databases can be coerced into admitting their opinion on this.

It would be nice if the engine configuration (or some option hook on the
session) could override that.

In a development environment, I would prefer to see empty `IN()` raise an
error.  That would help track down all the situations where this occurs, so
code can handle the empty lists.  This is with the understanding that
certain implementors will never want an empty list sent to IN -- and that
would be a bug/case in the application logic that was missed.

In production, and for other situations, this approach would not be ideal.