On 09/28/2016 10:05 AM, Seth P wrote:
On Friday, August 23, 2013 at 3:52:54 PM UTC-4, Konsta Vesterinen wrote:

    On Friday, August 23, 2013 1:52:41 AM UTC+3, Michael Bayer wrote:

        2. ScalarListType vs. Postgresql ARRAY ?   same/better?  should
        SLT use ARRAY on a PG backend ?

    Hmm I'm not sure about this yet. Its definately not better than
    using PostgreSQL ARRAY. ARRAY is better in many ways but its
    PostgreSQL specific. Maybe we could make ScalarListType use ARRAY on
    PostgreSQL by default (as you suggested).

I was wondering if there are any plans for SQLAlchemy to support
Oracle's VARRAY column type? I've recently had the misfortune of having
to use Oracle, and would like to have columns of the
formsa.Column(sa.ARRAY(pt.String(8), dimensions=1)). I just looked at
SQLAlchemy-Utils's ScalarListType
(https://github.com/kvesteri/sqlalchemy-utils/blob/master/sqlalchemy_utils/types/scalar_list.py),
but I think then I'd bump into Oracle's 4000-byte limit
(https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/limits001.htm#i287903).
(It's not clear to me what Oracle's VARRAY length limit is when used as
a column type, but that's a separate issue.) It's also not clear to me
if cx_Oracle supports VARRAYs nicely.

someone just asked about this and your last sentence is the main thing to worry about first, getting cx_oracle support confirmed. Oracle's OCI is vast, ancient, heavily encrusted, and even really simple things become awkward in cx_Oracle due to this. I won't bash on cx_Oracle too much because it just tries to expose OCI as much as possible, but there are crap-tons of awkwardnesses, "just don't works", and other edge cases in this area. So illustrating VARRAY round trip on cx_oracle is the first step.