I wrote a script with this sort of logic in order to insert many records
into a PostgreSQL table as they are generated.

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import asyncio
from concurrent.futures import ProcessPoolExecutor as pool
from functools import partial

import sqlalchemy as sa

metadata = sa.MetaData(schema='stackoverflow')
Base = declarative_base(metadata=metadata)

class Example(Base):
    __tablename__ = 'example'
    pk = sa.Column(sa.Integer, primary_key=True)
    text = sa.Column(sa.Text)

sa.event.listen(Base.metadata, 'before_create',
    sa.DDL('CREATE SCHEMA IF NOT EXISTS stackoverflow'))

engine = sa.create_engine(
    'postgresql+psycopg2://postgres:password@localhost:5432/stackoverflow'
)
Base.metadata.create_all(engine)
session = sa.orm.sessionmaker(bind=engine, autocommit=True)()

def task(value):
    engine.dispose()
    with session.begin():
        session.add(Example(text=value))

async def infinite_task(loop):
    spawn_task = partial(loop.run_in_executor, None, task)
    while True:
        await asyncio.wait([spawn_task(value) for value in range(10000)])

def main():
    loop = asyncio.get_event_loop()
    with pool() as executor:
        loop.set_default_executor(executor)
        asyncio.ensure_future(infinite_task(loop))
        loop.run_forever()
        loop.close()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

This code works just fine, creating a pool of as many processes as I have
CPU cores, and happily chugging along forever. I wanted to see how threads
would compare to processes, but I could not get a working example. Here are
the changes I made:

from concurrent.futures import ThreadPoolExecutor as pool

session_maker = sa.orm.sessionmaker(bind=engine, autocommit=True)
Session = sa.orm.scoped_session(session_maker)

def task(value):
    engine.dispose()
    # create new session per thread
    session = Session()
    with session.begin():
        session.add(Example(text=value))
    # remove session once the work is done
    Session.remove()

This version runs for a while before a flood of "too many clients"
exceptions:

sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError: (psycopg2.OperationalError) FATAL:  sorry, too
many clients already

What's causing the problem?