On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 5:58:41 PM UTC-4, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Oh nice!! Will this be called in the context of the same thread
> executing the sql?  This would allow me to debug without formatting all
> debugs I believe...

It depends on how you're using threads and connections.  It should/does
under most situations.   It is entirely possible that you are using things
wrong or are abusing the library -- lots of people do that inadvertently
(myself included).

Check out the docs on
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/contextual.html , and there is
also some stuff on threadlocal under pooling.

For stuff like this, I just use the approach that Mike advocated -- just
filter the standard python logger.  An `.ini` file configures my loggers to
print the thread id on the line prefix, and I direct sqlalchemy logging to
a dedicated file.  Then i just grep that file for a given thread id.

None of the performance issues you raise make much sense to me -- the
overhead is negligible and this would all be done on a dev environment.
turning something like this on/off on production would worry me about the
application design.

Any chance that you coming from another programming language? It sounds
like you're unfamiliar with some intricacies on how Python (not just
SqlAlchemy) approach certain things, and are overthinking things.