Thanks for the help and suggestions. I understand that Constraint
objects need to be bound to a Table to drop or create them. I thought
there might be a general, straightforward way to find a Constraint by
Table and name. I did find a such a way for Constraints defined on the
Table. The approach I'm using for Constraints defined on Columns within
the Table works but seems kludgey. I had thought that since
CreateTable() automatically handles both cases, there might be a better way.

Rethinking it one more time, a Constraint defined within a Column is
expected to render a column constraint within a CREATE TABLE statement.
However, SQL provides no way to add a CHECK column constraint to a
column on an existing table. Therefore, I need to drop a column
constraint and then create a table constraint with the same name and
expression. So, as you said, defining the Constraint on the Table in the
first place would be more consistent.

I had looked at Alembic but it doesn't seem to quite match my use case.
Operations.drop_constraint() does what I need, but
Operations.create_check_constraint() does not seem to be able to use an
existing CheckConstraint instance. It also doesn't seem to have support
for Postgres's NOT VALID modifier. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe
it would be easy to extend Alembic to add these features?

On 11/18/2016 06:06 PM, mike bayer wrote:

> The reason AddConstraint/DropConstraint need the Constraint attached to
> the table is because ADD CONSTRAINT / DROP CONSTRAINT in SQL require the
> table name, as these are related to ALTER TABLE <tablename>.  I
> recommend you use Alembic ops to emit ADD CONSTRAINT / DROP CONSTRAINT
> without requiring Table logic, see
> http://alembic.zzzcomputing.com/en/latest/ops.html#alembic.operations.Operations
> .
>

> On 11/18/2016 05:34 PM, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
>> Yes, the constraints are defined in Python and have names explicitly
>> defined. The CheckConstraint I need to use is defined in a
>> @declared_attr method for the column in a base class from which the
>> mapped class inherits. I did find the CheckConstraint I need in
>> MappedClass.__table__.c.column_name.constraints, but it is not bound to
>> a table, so when I pass it to DropConstraint(), I get:
>>
>> sqlalchemy.exc.InvalidRequestError: This constraint is not bound to a
>> table.  Did you mean to call table.append_constraint(constraint) ?
>>
>> If I pass the the CheckConstraint to
>> MappedClass.__table__.append_constraint(), DropConstraint() works, but I
>> don't understand why I need to explicitly add the constraint to the
>> table.
>>

>> On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 5:11:10 PM UTC-5, Mike Bayer wrote:
>>
>>     Assuming here your constraints are already defined in Python and
>> we are
>>     not talking about using reflection, we're talking about the CHECK
>>     constraint objects you've already built.  If they are defined for a
>>     Table then they would be in table.constraints.  If you have them
>> on the
>>     Column then it's true they might only be in column.constraints in
>> that
>>     case.  If you're defining them in either place then you'd need to
>> look
>>     in either place.   It might be best to go with all table-bound CHECK
>>     constraints as I'm not sure it's as flexible to do add/drop with the
>>     column-level ones.  At the very least, constraints need to have an
>>     explicit name in order to support ADD/DROP.
>>
>>     Alembic's docs get into this a bit here:
>>     http://alembic.zzzcomputing.com/en/latest/naming.html
>>     <http://alembic.zzzcomputing.com/en/latest/naming.html> where it
>> talks
>>     about the "naming convention" feature of SQLAlchemy that may or
>> may not
>>     be of use here.
>>

>>     On 11/18/2016 04:43 PM, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
>>     > I have a Declarative-instrumented class with several constraints,
>>     some
>>     > defined at the table level and some on a column. AFAICT, all the
>>     > constraints are configured correctly because they are rendered
>>     correctly
>>     > by CreateTable() when called with the class's Table instance. In
>>     order
>>     > to import some data into my carefully designed model, I need to
> [...]

Jonathan Rogers