you probably want to add create_constraint=False, see if that works

http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/type_basics.html?highlight=enum#sqlalchemy.types.Enum.params.create_constraint

On 01/05/2017 01:34 AM, Tim-Christian Mundt wrote:
Hi,

I've been using an array of enums with postgres and SQLAlchemy
successfully over the past year like so:

|classMyModel(BaseModel):enum_field
=Column(postgresql.ARRAY(EnumField(MyEnum,native_enum=False)))|

The |EnumField| is from the sqlalchemy_enum34
<https://github.com/spoqa/sqlalchemy-enum34> library, a small wrapper
around the builtin enum that uses Python enums as Python representation
instead of strings.

Although the docs say
<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_1_1/dialects/postgresql.html#using-enum-with-array>,
array of enum is not supported, I guess it worked, because I chose
'native_enum=False'. Recently I noticed that it doesn't work anymore, I
think it's due to the upgrade from SQLA 1.0 to 1.1, but I'm not sure.

The problem is, that it generates invalid DDL:

|CREATE TABLE my_model (enum_field VARCHAR(5)[3]NOT NULL CHECK (contexts
IN ('ONE','TWO','THREE')))|

The error I get is:

|ERROR: malformed array literal:"ONE"DETAIL: Arrayvalue must start
with"{"ordimension information.|

Any idea how I can get back my enum array?
By the way: when it worked, no CHECK constraint was actually created,
just an array of varying. I'm ok with that as long as I can use enums in
my Python code (e.g. |query.filter(enum_field==MyEnum.ONE)|)

Regards
Tim

To post example code, please provide an MCVE: Minimal, Complete, and
Verifiable Example. See http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve for a full
description.
Groups "sqlalchemy" group.
an email to sqlalchemy+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:sqlalchemy+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
<mailto:sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com>.

SQLAlchemy - The Python SQL Toolkit and Object Relational Mapper